Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Trent Kinsey: The book that inspired The Book of Absolute Truths

Dear Reader,


Welcome to day two! So far Kayden has yet to kick me off her blog so I must be behaving (chuckles). So while she's not looking I'll throw another tale of my muse running around with my imagination again. Today, I'll tell the story behind the story of The Book of Absolute Truths, my second release with Moongypsy Press.

Well I happened to be in a writing slump, which seems to happen more often than not so I picked up an eBook of short stories. Every now and then, when my muse ventures to Mexico, I end up reading romance and erotica—yeah, I know. A guy reading erotica, how surprising! But every now and then reading outside of my favorite genre helps spark that dark urge I need when writing horror. Some couple or however many (depends on the author) people are having sex and my muse comes by and says, "Wait! Hell no! You need to kill someone or wouldn't it be creepy if this happened?"

So I'm sitting on the smoke-deck at work, reading this one tale about a used book store owner who falls in love with a ghost haunting his store. And even though I enjoyed the story, as soon as my muse showed up, prodding me about my next tale of horror, I couldn't seem to focus enough to finish the story. My muse had me: hook, line and sinker.

Just a simple thought...What if a used book store owner was given a book he couldn't get rid of?

I'm lucky in the fact that another author of Moongypsy Press, Imari Jade, is a good friend of mine. She works four floors above me at our day jobs and we go out on smoke breaks almost every work day, discussing all we are currently working on.

As my muse continued to tell me the story, so I did to Imari. And one day as I was walking toward our usual meeting spot, the thought hit me. The twist in the story became apparent. Ah, but I'm not going to tell you that!

I'll give you only one of the twists in the story. The Book of Absolute Truths lies.

With that said, I hope you all enjoyed my little insight into writing my second release with Moongypsy Press, and hope to see you tomorrow for my last day at Kayden's World of Paranormal where I'll be talking about Ghosts of the Storm.

Trent Kinsey

http://www.trentkinsey.com

http://www.moongypsypress.com/kinsey.php

http://www.trentkinsey.com/books/truths/truths.php


10 comments:

Kristin said...

you KNOW I loved this story. The book of absolute truths made me a die hard trent kinsey superfan. This story had me hooked and reading it made me feel something like Bstien reading the neverending story (only in ebook form, hehe).
and for what it's worth, I think EVERYBODY should erotica every now and then, broaden their horizons and get 'inspired', LOL!

Trent Kinsey said...

Lol. Thanks Kristin. And yes, reading other genre's like erotica does help to broaden horizons.

Tabitha Shay said...

One just never knows where inspiration will come from...lol...The Book of Absolute Truths sounds very intriguing....Best of luck with it...Tabs

Trent Kinsey said...

No lies there Tabs!

My muse has fun with when and where she decides to kick me in the butt.

Thanks for always stopping by :D

Anonymous said...

Boy ever does it lie, I mean really...twist after twist in this one...and I love when your muse goes off visiting...it always comes back with the most interesting of ideas...

Psst....where did Kayden run off too that you still get to play?

Trent Kinsey said...

Thanks Brigit!

Yea my muse has some really great stories to tell when she comes home.

Shhhh! Don't let her hear you, she might realize everyone's playing lmao

D.M. Slate said...

Wow - in all the excerpts I read for this book I never considered that the book was lying.... now I'm even more intrigued and curious.

I think my muse has a frequent flier card and hotel pass to somewhere great in Mexico, b/c she never seems to be around.... unless it's 1 am - LMAO

Danyelle

Maggie Dove said...

Wow, Trent--way to go Muse! This books sounds like a must read!

evision said...

www.onlineuniversalwork.com

Trent Kinsey said...

Thanks Maggie and Danyelle!

Sorry it took till today to reply, I ended up passing out after the chat last night from the after effects of cough medicine and giving up a pint of blood lol.