Monday, August 8, 2011

Heather Kuehl: How I learned character development





Dear Reader,

Right now, as I’m writing this, I’m watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Just finished season five and I’m starting season six. I’ve watched this show and its sister show Angel over and over again more times than I can count and it has taught me so much. And not just life lessons. It’s taught me now to create awesome characters.

My favorite Joss Whedon character, development-wise, would have to be Wesley Wyndam-Pryce. When he first stepped on the scene in season three of BtVS, he was a pansy of a Watcher who didn’t have a clue how the real world worked. After Faith went crazy he was fired from the Watcher’s council, and the character transferred from BtVS to Angel. From there, his evolution is just amazing. By the time Angel concludes Wesley is like a bad-ass Giles, carrying a gun and wielding magic in a way no one thought possible back in season three of BtVS.  Seeing this character’s development over the course of the show has taught me how a character should be written. It’s showed me that change takes time and it has to be believable. If a character changes too much over night, readers will never identify with him or her.

Now I can’t write about BtVS without gushing about my favorite character - Spike. I love Spike; I can’t get enough of him. Yep, I’m a Spuffy fan. I think it’s because I started watching BtVS at the end of season three, so I never really cared about the whole Angel and Buffy relationship. But Spike…yummy, hilarious, and a bad boy with a romantic middle. Oh and he writes poetry. Gotta love a bad boy who can wield a pen.

If you are a fan of Joss Whedon, please feel free to tell me who your favorite character is and why. Mal? Echo? Willow? Dr. Horrible? I’m curious.

And, of course, it’s time for my shameless promotion. :o) Please check out my new releases, Dream Lover and Epiphany.

Dream Lover blurb: Denna Rainerd has dreamed about Warren Connelly for the past ten years, their relationship in the dream world hot and passionate. Pity he isn't real...or is he? Warren wishes that Denna was in his real world, but a human in his world would be a liability. He's a Hunter shapeshifter; sworn to protect his world from the darkest of creatures while he's focused on revenge for the death of his brother. Their worlds collide when Warren saves Denna's life, setting up a chain of events that will change their lives forever. Will Denna be able to accept Warren's supernatural secrets?
Buy link: http://eternalpress.biz/people.php?author=273

Epiphany blurb: Everlena doesn't usually go out to clubs, but one night she decides to, on a whim. She meets Mika, a man who is as mysterious as he is delectable. Everlena doesn't know that Mika has plans for her, or that dark forces are out to get her. Mika is the Fey-King of the Unseelie Court. He's trying to find the princess of the Seelie Court, and is shocked to find her living life as a human. Even more shocking is that this human has no clue Mika’s world even exists. Mika must get Everlena to safety while convincing her that a union between her light court and his dark court is the only way to end the violence. With danger around every turn, will Everlena be able to leave her human life behind and take her place as a princess of the Seelie Court? Or will the feelings blossoming between Everlena and Mika get in the way?



And don’t forget to check out my other books at http://www.heatherkuehl.com

1 comment:

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

You should throw-out that nasty, whorizontal occult and focus on where you'll be: in the sky facing our Divine Judgment first. Girl, think of it. Pretty soon, if you make Heaven, you'll be able to write for the length and breadth of eternity, fulla all the pronouns and adjectives and foreign wittICIsms that come to you in a snap. So, I'd lose THAT bewitching demonology, girl, and focus on worshipping the One, True Jesus. Jesus loves you gobbsNgobbs, more than you know, from head2toe, but if you don't wanna return His love, ain't nuthn God can do. Meet me in Heaven, gorgeous. We'll have gobbsa fun for eternity. God bless you. Love you.