Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ghosts and Ghouls

As much of a disappointment as it might be to those who know me, truth be told, my favorite paranormal creature would have to be the ghost. Don’t get me wrong, I love werewolves and will always feel a kindred pull to the families of lycanthropes roaming the worlds of fiction, but ghosts…Ghosts are the monsters of our world that could or could not really exist. There still has yet to be scientific evidence proving they do not exist and as years go on, you can always find a “ghost hunter” show of some sort with people trying to prove or disprove their existence to no end.

Why ghosts, you might ask. It deals with the hope of life after death. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to spend my eternity roaming the earth pulling pranks on unsuspecting victims long after my family has moved on. But if there are ghosts, there is existence after death and I don’t have to fear the thoughts of dying and there being nothing after I close my eyes for good.

Have you ever thought of death in the sense of “we are nothing more than animals roaming the earth?” Really stop and think about it. You die…nothing. What is the purpose of living if there is nothing at the end? Why sustain consciousness? Why have consciousness? Now I know religion is a touchy subject with people, so I keep from that direction, but I want some scientific though about this. At this time, man seems to be the only conscious being on the planet (philosophy, art, music).

Now let’s drop some ghosts into the mix. Now you have the idea of no darkness after the long goodnight. You close your physical eyes, but your spirit moves on or stays to cause some hell after death or continually search for your keys in an after-life-loop. Either way, the thoughts of “nothing” when it’s all over is gone.

With that said, here‘s my question for you:

Do you believe in ghosts?

No comments: